Knowing your value is the key.
“You are the only person on earth that can use your ability.” Zig Ziglar
What do you bring that no one else brings? This is one of my favorite questions to ask. It really helps me understand how well people know themselves and how sincere they are being with their answers. Let’s face it, the answers to all interview questions are everywhere on the internet but the best employers want to assess not only your skills but your authenticity. That’s right, you can’t fake authentic! They have a sixth sense for that!
Do you know the unique value you can bring? The skills, competencies or capabilities that set you apart from the competition. Do you know what your competition will bring as their authentic value to the employer of your dreams? You should! How else will you set yourself apart.
Here are some things to consider when assessing your value against the roles you are applying to:
1. Know the role very, very well and how the success you have had in your career can align with its skills, experience and competencies.
2. Do you have examples of experience that will help showcase your skills and competencies in these areas?
3. What do you know about the company? Why would you want to spend 8+hours in a place everyday if you don’t know anything about it?
4. In what ways will you be able to “uniquely” contribute to the role that will provide value to the department, company, and overall objectives of the company?
5. Most important- know yourself and the ways you have effectively contributed to your past employers’ overall business goal and even profitability!
6. Know your competition and build some networks in your chosen field. LinkedIn is a powerful tool for this.
7. Make a match with a company that will appreciate your value and past impact. Ask the right questions in interviews to uncover this match.
By now you should know, it is not your skill that will get you in the door, it is how you are able to articulate your value that will clearly allow the future employer to know the level of impact you will have at their company.
Till next time,
Want to learn more about how to achieve your career goals faster and efficiently? Book a free 30-minute session now: www.sourcedcareers.ca/book-session