The mindset needed to start your career transition journey.
Updated: May 8, 2020
“The only impossible journey is the one you never begin”- Tony Robbins
Do you ever feel like life is just happening around you? Like you don’t have a say in where your life, career or business is headed? I have been there and believe me, everyone around has at some point or another, even it they never let on.
If this is where you are today, it can be difficult to connect with family and friends about it sometimes? I either get the encouragement of “you go this” to “again, why don’t you just stick it out”. Maybe you just don’t want to burden them. And you never really get a step by step on how to get me there. How could they know, right? Sound familiar? It just was not enough for me so I found a mentor and a coach. Someone that did not know me and could give me clear guidance from an objective place. Someone with an understanding of how to set goals, someone who called me out on my sh*t and someone who taught be about emotional intelligence. She knew more than me about the topic I wanted to learn more about. The lesson here is YOU have to go out and seek out the help. Little fairies won’t drop it in your lap…guaranteed!
There is a journey you have been too scared to take, a job you have been too afraid to move from, a next step that you need to take to be happy. So why do we do it? Why do we not take the first steps? Fear. Fear of failing, fear of rejection, fear that it will not go a great as we played if over and over in our minds right?
But it will. I promise you. The moment you decide to take that first step, and then follow through with the next and the next, you will begin to propel yourself forward and your confidence will build. It’s that dang first steps.
Taking the first 5 steps:
1. Stop overthinking about every little detail. Decide today that you are going to do that thing you are going to do. Done! That’s it, you did it!
2. Remember who you are, what's your value and what you bring with you. Even though the journey is about change, understanding where you come from and all you bring can add some amazing color to your new journey.
3. Find someone that can keep you accountable. This is it guys. Invest in a coach that will be honest, tell it like it is and call you out when you need it. Give them the permission to do it. Invest in yourself because you are ready for the journey and the help to keep you moving is worth it. Having my own coach was the best decision of my life. It helped me realize my passion for helping others as a coach.
4. Take a deep breath when you need it. Change can be overwhelming for some. Take it in stride and don’t be afraid to go slow. Deep breathing can calm your nerves, slow you down and centre your being.
5. Quiet the negative chatter in your brain. When she/he starts telling you “what are you thinking?” or “You can’t do this”, shut them down and feed the exact positive thought right back at them.
Take the time to write some actions and take on each step you list. Surround yourself with people who will cheer you on in your success.
It’s your time. Next level is waiting. Only you can take that first step!
Till next time.
Want to learn more about how to achieve your career goals faster and efficiently? Book a free 30-minute session now: www.sourcedcareers.ca/book-session